Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Kids Say the Darndest Things

Dillon has been saying some pretty funny things lately, and I don't want to forget them, and so I thought I'd do a quick post about it!

One day last week, Dillon was having an especially rough day.  For the third day in a row, he didn't take a nap, and he was written up for punching a little girl in the face.  (I seriously almost cried while signing his paper.  Instead, I waited until the car.)  His daycare teachers were sweet about it; they almost went as far to say as they didn't want to write him up because he's usually so sweet.  Anyway, Chris and I'd already planned on going to Kroger -- and since "going to town" takes a few minutes, we decided to go even though it might end in disaster.  Sure enough, Dillon started throwing a fit in the middle of the store, and a random lady came up to him and scolded him -- in front of Chris and me!  (The good Lord knew I didn't need to say anything because I had a Tanako polo shirt on... so I kept my mouth shut so the random lady didn't call the UMC complaining about their program director at church camp.)  That night, he went to bed early and couldn't watch videos.  Needless to say, we were all spent emotionally and physically!

The next day, I told Dillon he could watch movies again because it was a new day.  On the way to his daycare, I decided we needed to pray for a good day.  So, I asked Dillon to pray after me.  He did.  A few minutes later, he looked at me and said, "Mama, we need to pray you'll have a good day, too!"  At the time, I didn't much have a clue about what he was saying, but it was incredibly sweet.  A few minutes later, he said, "Mama, we need to pray for Michael since he can't talk."  And we did.  Love it.


Each night, I try and sing a night night song when I tuck Dillon into bed.  A few nights ago, his night night song choice was "Whoo Pig Sooie!"  I guess I am doing something right! ;)  (He does know all the words to Jesus Loves Me, All in All (He calls it You are my Strength When I am Weak), and Sanctuary.  I love singing those songs WITH him.)


One day, a few weeks ago, while playing with his Thomas trains, he looked at me and said, "Mama! Blessed is the One who comes in the name of the Lord!  I learned that at the Little Rock Church (aka St. Paul United Methodist Church)!"  I was so impressed, and I am thankful for a church in Hot Springs (Hot Springs First United Methodist, where we attend when we're in town), and St. Paul where I know our children are growing up hearing the stories of the faith.


We tell people this all the time, but Dillon is SUPER sweet with his brother.  He gets in trouble for loving him too much.  And, Michael watches him EVERYWHERE doing EVERYTHING.  It's fun watching them.  I know they're going to be buddies when they get older, and that makes my heart happy!


That's all I can think of for now.  I'm glad kids say the darndest things (most of the time...)!

No comments: